Tuesday, March 29, 2011

If you're afraid of butter, use cream (Julia Child)

In my opinion rhubarb is completely underrated. Imagine my glee then, dear readers, when the kind people at Panos decided to add a rhubarb tartlet to their otherwise rather bland selection. I'm too lazy to drive over to Paul's and God knows, I'm incapable of scoffing a whole tart on my own (a tart eating a tart... Oh never mind!). My appetite may be Gargantuan but I do know a limit when it's staring me in the eye.

Anyway, yesterday I was forced to rely on a rather less elegant form of transportation than I am used to. Those in the know will surmise that I am referring to my rather pink yet astoundingly elegant velocipede. An appointment, in an abbey on the other side of the country no less, meant that I had to hop on public transportation.

So there I was ruefully surveying my surroundings when it dawned on me that there was a Panos bakery nearby. 'A rhubarb tartlet, my good man', I trilled only to realise that I had gone out without my purse. Oh the shame of it. I did not feel like relying on the courtesy of a gentleman, and for that matter, there was no gentleman in sight. A quick body search yielded a 2-euro coin and so off I hurried, with my pastry in my handbag.

I ended up consuming it contentedly with a cup of good afternoon tea.

2 comments:

Fresco said...

So you're hiding here now :-)

As a child I used to dip a rhubarb in a pot of sugar and suck on it. Those rhubarb tartlets from Panos are indeed gorgeous. I also like their apple beignets by the way. And their apple cakes. And oh, their muffins and EVERYTHING from Paul too.

Jadis Noir said...

Yes, indeed, here I am.
You can also find me on 'twitteur'. My mother used to force rhubarb puree on us for some insane reason. She of course ate the puce stalks without sugar.

As for Paul, I'm not a fan yet. But I like their store in Richmond as an alternative to the Maids of Honour, when I'm in London. Next stop: Petersham Nurseries.

Post a Comment